Home > Mining applications > Preventing acidification from mining
Preventing acidification from mining
Often Pyrite oxidation of excavated overburden is the reason for Acid Mine Drainage (AMD).
Mixing limestone reagents to the overburden is a solution to ensure that neutralising capacity is available exactly where acid is created.
direct use during the extraction process
Prevents the acidification from excavated overburden
- Neutralising capacity is available exactly where acid soil is created
- This process also prevents leaching of heavy metals
Case study: Lignite Mining in Western Germany
- Up to 140 Mm3 overburden excavated per year
- Mixing of Lhoist limestone powder onto belt conveyor provides needed neutralisation capacities
- AMD is effectively prevented